Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday June 1, miles today 11, miles from Springer 69

After an early start I made the the day's destination, Dick's Creek Gap by one PM.  A half mile down the road led to the "Top of Georgia" hostel.  Major Tom and I evaluated our packs and mailed stuff home.  He went from 43 lbs to 36, I went from 39 to 35.  After showers we caught a ride into Hiawasse and had dinner at the AYCE (all you can eat buffet).

The Top of Georgia hostel is a money losing operation dedicated to serving hikers on the AT.  There are 2 paid employees and the rest are volunteers or work for stay folks.  They have bunks, a kitchen, a small resupply store and shuttles to tote hikers to or from the trailheads and local towns.  They are very friendly and dedicated.  I hiked there from the trailhead and the moment I set down my pack I was handed a soda (the first one is free) and welcomed.  This place is a hiker rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment