Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Monday May 28, miles today 14.1, miles from Springer 38

Torrential rains started around 2am and lasted all day with no let up.  Tropical storm Alberto caught up with me.  Started out with a five mile climb of the highest point in GA- Blood Mountain.  It was steep and rocky and when mixed with the rain and high winds... a pretty miserable hike.

Three miles further I arrived, at Neal's Gap where the trail passes through an old historic building that currently houses a hostel and a really good outfitter.  I spent 3 hours there drying out and eating microwave pizza and drinking coffee.  I also bought an extra backpacker's dinner and socks.
Reenergized I went back out in the rain and hiked another six miles.  I finally had to set up my tent, I slept dry but a lot of my gear was soaked.  I could not cook dinner so I ate some pita bread and jerky.

No comments:

Post a Comment