Monday, May 28, 2018

Saturday May 26, miles today 13.2, miles from Springer 12.2

PATH finally on the path


Satish, his daughter and another friend took me Amicalola state park where I registered as the 2648th thru hiker this year.  They then drove me up to a mile from Springer mountain.  The four of us hiked to the top.  The six year old girl was in the best shape of all of us as she hopped rock to rock on the wet trail, terrifying her father.  We took pictures at the top and signed the log before we hiked down.

From where we parked I donned my backpack and headed up the trail.  It rained off and on all day which was pleasant.  I started running out of gas about 10 miles in about at Horse Gap but was disappointed to find no water there as I was running low.  Consulting my trail guide I was even more disappointed to find it was 4 more miles to the next water with a 2 mountains between.  I struggled up Sassafras mountain and when I arrived at Cooper Gap saw an army water trailer with potable water.  I camped happy.

Satish and his intrepid daughter

1 comment: