Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Saturday May 12, Miles today 5, Miles from Springer 0

A quick 5 mile hike along the rocky Darlington trail after the washer and dryer were installed.  When I got home I looked at the soles of my Vasque GTX Boots and there chunks broken off.  Crap, I need to buy and break in new boots two weeks before my hike starts.  My feet hurt just thinking about it.  In the last 20 years I have gone through four pairs of the same heavy boot.  The last two pairs took a long time to wear in.  Perhaps they did not fit the same but I always blamed it on getting older, the older I get the more pain I feel.

I decided to do some research.  After trolling around the internet a while I found a pretty good site on backpacking with a good article on hiking footwear (http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots).  The article cited "Weight on your feet will zap 4-6 times more energy than weight on your back. So, swapping that 3-pound pair of boots for a 1-pound pair of running shoes will be the energy saving equivalent of removing 8-12 pounds from your pack"  They seemed to like "trail runners" which was more of a running shoe but my concerns were durability.  I don't want to replace my shoes every 300 miles.  Monday I go down to the closest REI to check out new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment