Monday, May 21, 2018

Friday May 11, Miles today 16, Miles from Springer 0

I planned a 3 day / 40 mile backpack trip for the weekend but it became a two day / 30 mile trip when the kids announced we were going to a Winery/Brewery for lunch at 11 am on Mothers Day.  The dryer broke as I was preparing my backpack, we went shopping for a new washer/dryer set and by some miracle they promised delivery and installation on Saturday, my trip became a one day 16 mile southbound hike on the AT from Duncannon to the ATC Trail Barn in Cumberland valley.

The ridge south of Duncannon marks a major change in the Appalachian range.  It is the southern boundary of the Ice Age Glaciers and is characterized by lots of rocks ranging from boulders you have to crawl over to fields of ankle biters (smaller rocks sticking out of the ground that if you are not careful will twist your ankle).  It had been a few years since I had been on the trail and had some concerns of the steep rocky climb from Duncannon to the top of Cove mountain.  I was pleasantly surprised, the trail club responsible for that section of trail had built well engineered rock staircases through all the rock fields.  While the climb still took my wind and strained my legs it was a pleasant work out to get to the magnificent view of the town and the winding Susquehanna river.

There was an amazing amount of backpacker traffic that Friday, I passed 36 going north.  Most seemed to be thru hikers, they seemed like they were in excellent shape.  I stopped and chatted with some.  One couple had started from Waynesboro, VA several weeks before, they were planning a Flip Flop, meaning they planned to hike up to Maine and then get a ride back down to Waynesboro and hike down to Georgia.  Another couple that started in February in Georgia and braved snow and cold down south 

I also met an interesting man a few years older than me from Vermont who started in Harpers Ferry and was also planning on Flip Flopping. He said he had started the AT several times and this time he was determined to finish it.  He told me the four guys that flew past me earlier had started in late March and were averaging over 25 miles per day.  I asked him about the legendary black flies in Maine and if they ever receded.  He said that they usually migrate to the higher elevations around the end of July as they don't like the heat and the Dragon Fly larva start hatching and follow them to cut down the population considerably.  He also said hiking in Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee in June was just wonderful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment